While it is true that most chocolate muffin recipes out there will nullify your health nut efforts, not all do. In fact, by choosing healthy alternative flours with no additives (like Purely Pinole’s purple maize) and adding cocoa powder without sugar, you can actually intensify the antioxidant potency in your muffin recipe… thereby even making them healthy!
Moreover, using a fortified, nutritious base of Purely Pinole will not only top off your antioxidant levels, but also provide you with sustainable energy. Rather than loading your body with empty carbs and getting an inevitable sugar crash, our cleaned-up version of this classic indulgence will have you feeling energized for the day ahead rather than lethargic.
Dress them up as you like: you can either go classic with Original or mix things up with Blueberry + Banana Purely Pinole for the foundation, depending on your mood or taste preference. For extra antioxidants (or just because you love chocolate), add some dark chocolate chips to the mix or spread some jam or nut butter on for a little extra indulgence!
Total time: 35 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 25 min
Yield: 9 muffins
- 1/2 cup Original Purely Pinole
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven 350 degree Fahrenheit and prepare muffin tin by oiling sides (use coconut oil or other vegetable oil).
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl (pinole, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in a bowl (syrup, oil, eggs, yogurt, milk) and stir into dry ingredients bowl in sections: meaning add each third of the wet mixture to the dry once at a time, to fully incorporate the mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tin and set in oven for about 25 min. To determine when finished, stick a toothpick inside to see if it comes out clean.
- Take out of oven when complete, let cool. They are sure to smell warm so be sure to save a few but try one just to make sure it turned out alright…
For this recipe we recommend:
Purely Pinole Original