It’s about that time of year… it’s starting to get colder and you’re craving warmer, heartier foods. Good news! Here at the Purely Pinole kitchen, we got our brains cooking up some ideas to find healthier ways of enjoying foods to get you through the cold months ahead while keeping your health in check.
Our Original Purely Pinole not only provides you with 40 grams of whole grains per serving, but also naturally sustains and regulates your energy levels. Add a banana to it, stick in some nut butter and chocolate chips, and you’ve got a heart-healthy breakfast or dessert at your disposal. There you have it: an all-natural, decadent yet healthy staple.
We made ours with coconut to mimic island vibes in the cold weather– but feel free to make yours with any milk or milk substitute you prefer!
- 1 cup Original Purely Pinole
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar syrup
- 1/2 cup nut butter of your choice (peanut butter shown here)
- 2 bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and align a rectangular baking dish (8.5″ X 4.5″ X 2.75″ dimensions) with either parchment paper or spread with vegetable/coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (pinole, oats, baking powder + soda & salt). Mix in chocolate chips at the end (this binds them in place better in the batter).
- Grab a small bowl to prepare the bananas and peanut butter for easier mixing: place bowl in the microwave and heat up for about 15 seconds to make it easier to mix in. Mash up bananas into the nut butter and set aside.
- Incorporate wet ingredients (vanilla extract , coconut milk, agave syrup) into the banana-nut mash and slowly integrate everything into the dry mixture (do in thirds to ensure an even distribution).
- Once complete, place mixture in baking dish, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top for looks, and set in the oven for about 30 minutes. Once finished, take out of the oven and set aside for cooling.
- Serve warm and dig in! Great for leftovers just as well.
For this recipe we recommend:
Purely Pinole Original